The Mansion House
London, EC4N 8BH 19 June 2023
The Mansion House
J.P. Morgan is pleased to invite you to Financing our Future – an event aimed at examining the current landscape of scientific innovation in Britain. Represented by Lord Mayor Alderman Nick Lyons, The City of London Corporation will co-host this conference at Mansion House on Monday 19 June, bringing together UK Universities, private investors, spinouts and start-ups for an evening of discussion and debate.
Academia and invention operate in close quarters. Shepherded by venture capital and state-sponsored initiatives, pioneering research defines the UK’s world-leading universities, yielding ground-breaking discoveries that advance scientific development across the country.
We aim to survey a variety of topical issues, including:
- What is the opportunity for investors who support UK university spinout companies?How big is the funding gap for university-backed science and technology businesses?
- What pools of capital are currently available to support university spinouts?
- On a national and international level, what are some of the established models for university start-up/spinout funding?
- Can the Government do more to encourage investment in university-backed science and technology companies?
- Is there a blueprint for future university-focused funds?
- What can be done in the next 12, 36 and 60-month periods to stimulate investment into the sector?
The event is targeted at universities with experience of commercialising their IP, and those who are planning to do so. We are also excited to welcome start-up companies ‘spinning out’ of University research departments, as well as investors of all types in this space.
15:45 Arrival and Registration
16:15 Panel Discussions
17:45 Closing Remarks
18:00 Drinks and Networking
19:00 Event ends
- Alderman Nicholas Lyons, Lord Mayor of the City of London 2022-23
- Kerry Baldwin, Co-Founder, IQ Capital
- Jack Boyer, Chair, University of Bristol
- Duncan Johnson, Chief Executive Officer, Northern Gritstone Limited
- Henry Knapman, J.P. Morgan
- Dr Poonam Malik, Head of Investments, University of Strathclyde
- Zoe McDougall, Strategic Communications and Corporate Affairs, Oxford Nanopore
- Niranjan Sirdeshpande, Global Head of Investments, M&G’s Catalyst team
- Joe White MBE, UK Tech Envoy & H.M. Consul General, British Consulate General San Francisco
- Andrew Williamson, Managing Partner, Cambridge Innovation Capital